1915's Point Grey operations building. Bowerman photo
Point Grey (Vancouver)
This was one of the original five stations. Royal City Mills was given the $3300 contract to build the station. It was was operational in January of 1908. Oddly enough the station was an isolated post for the first few months. There was no direct communication with Vancouver until later in 1908 when the CPR Telegraph was connected. No road connection until 1911. Station was near the cliffs of Point Grey with a tram way down to the beach for getting supplies up from the lighthouse tender. The Google location here shows it now is the present site of the University of British Columbia (UBC)'s Museum of Anthropology. The student map and 1925 aerial photo of UBC shows the precise location. In the early 1930's the station was moved about a kilometer north to Westbrook Crescent. This 1952 student map shows only the acreage the station occupied, and this 1950 aerial photo shows the station itself. (Student maps and photos from UBC web site.)
Some decade or two later station moved onto Sea Island and was co-located with the Department of Transport's facilities at Vancouver International Airport. Transmitter site was on Garden City Road in Richmond on Lulu Island. Receiver site was at the west end of the airport's (YYJ) main runway on Sea Island.
After the 1950's this station was considered the major western Canadian marine wireless station. In the 1970's it had medium, high and very high frequency voice, phone patch, radio teletype and Morse facilities. By the end of the 1980's the station's usefulness had been bypassed by advances in communications, such as maritime satellite telephones and automated distress equipment, thus rendering Morse code and voice operations obsolete. All the coast stations were reorganized and integrated with the Vessel Traffic systems. Presently all operational communications in the coastal confluence zones are carried out via mountain top VHF voice radio, remotely controlled via the closest station. Thus only VHF remains along the coast.
A chronological order of Point Grey photos can be seen by clicking here.
1906 Cecil Doutre, Dominion Superintendent of Wireless Stations for the Department of Marine and Fisheries, and Eddie Hughes, Project Engineer, sail on the Marine & Fisheries Vessel 'Quadra'. They make site selections for the new chain of wireless stations along the British Columbia west coast. Point Grey cliff top was one of the selected sites.
1907 July 25/07 Daily Times reports the Province has set aside an acre
and a half at Point Grey. July 27/07 Daily Colonist paper quote: The contract for the Point
Grey station at Vancouver has been given to the Royal City Mills, of New Westminster at $2,300
(numbers fuzzy on original) Construction materials would be delivered by vessel and hauled up
the cliff to the site. Antenna mast was a 225 foot Douglas fir tree, limbed and topped, near
Morse the is Officer In Charge until February 1908 when J.H. Field took over. Call sign is PGD.
By November test messages are being exchanged with Victoria. November 24 Colonist paper reports the five original stations will be open for business on December 15, 2007. Main equipment was driven by a Fairbanks-Morse 3 Horse Power gasoline engine driving a 1kW alternating current generator. The transmitter is a Shoemaker type, with the open core transformer, tubular glass condensers, fixed spark gap with a helix inductance coil. A crystal detector radio receiver rounded out the installation. A 175 foot Douglas fir tree was used for support of an umbrella type antenna. Leonard James as operator.
1908 Trail punched through 5 miles of forest to the 'outside'. Canadian Pacific Telegraph runs a line into the Station from Vancouver. J. H. Field relieves Morse as the OIC in February. Operator Morse moves on to Cape Lazo Wireless. Leonard James becomes OIC later in the year. Station becomes a two operator station with the addition of J.H. McDonald.
1910 For $100 the British Columbia Telephone Company runs a telephone line out to the station from Vancouver. Rental is $10 per month. James and Macdonald operators.
1911 Trail upgraded to a road. In December a tender was let to build a house for the operators. Up to this time the operator's quarters were sandwiched between the engine room and the operations room, all in the one building. Leonard James the is OIC, with Jack MacDonald and Tommy Raine as assistants. Tommy was married with a baby. He and his family lived in a tent until a house was built the following year. (Public Accounts of Canada 1912: Building at Point Grey, $1,500; changes in plan $30)
1912 In December tenders called for additional housing to make the station more attractive to married men.
1913 Call sign changed from PGD to VAB in accordance with the recent Berlin Conference. (VAI, the call sign Vancouver has been associated with over the years, was originally assigned to the Ikeda Point station. In November of 1920 Ikeda was decommissioned and VAI given to Point Grey.)
1914 Jim Harker comes down from Triangle Island.
1915 Operators Lofty Harris transfers in from Triangle Island. Harker moves out to Alert Bay.
1920 Corriveau on strength at his first west coast station.
1921 A January wind storm hits the lower mainland and all connections to Vancouver are lost. Gonzales can communicate with Point Grey but land line is down between that station and Vancouver city. Victoria newspapers advise editions will be thinner than usual until wire connections restored.
1922 1923 Vancouver City directory lists Bowerman as the OIC.
1923 Bowerman is station manager. Operator Syd Jones arrives for a few days and then is off to Alert Bay Wireless. Bowerman departs for Estevan Pt. Corriveau off to Estevan.
1929 A new type 707 receiver with screen grid valve together with a new short wave receiver and " B " eliminator was installed.
1931 Walter Rush, Superintendent of the Government Radio Service,
does a tour of the west coast stations and lauds Point Grey's new facilities. Transmitter
site is now out on Lulu Island (Richmond, issued the call sign VAL, and is under the control of both the new operations
building on Westbrooke Crescent (VAI)(a kilometer or so north east of the old station's
location) and the second operating position in downtown Vancouver at the Marine Building (VAB). 600
meter (500 kHz) is the working frequency. Receivers were located at the Westbrooke operations
site and featured two 145 foot and one 110 foot masts.
B.C. Divisional Superintendent, Haughton, also describes the new station facilities. The Lulu Island site comprises some 15 acres where a transmitter building and four antenna masts are erected. Three antennas are 145 feet high, while the fourth is 110 feet. All equipment is Canadian Marconi. The short wave transmitter is rated at 2,000 watts, replacing the current 250 watt unit. Long wave transmitters are rated at 1,600 Watts. There are five frequencies on the long wave transmitters and two on the shortwave. Operation of these transmitters can be either from the Point Grey operations building, or the position in the Merchant's Exchange building in downtown Vancouver. Practically all ships over 5,000 tons now carry shortwave transmitting capabilities.
1936 CW frequency in kHz: 13,330 (13.33 mHz)
MCW frequency in kHz: 390, 500
Radiophone frequency in kHz: 1630
A Creed automatic transmitter and perforator was installed. This device removed some of the drudgery of pounding out long weather forecasts and notices to shipping manually. Quite often this would occupy his time for 20 minutes or more. The Creed had a typewriter keyboard producing a punched tape. The tape would be run through a reader to key the transmitter allowing the operator to handle other business.
1945 For interest, this photo, supplied by Al Miller, shows Vancouver Aeradio, not the marine station, in 1945. The marine radio would have a somewhat similar appearance.
1951 Sid Jones arrives and is the last officer in charge of the station at Point Grey.
1958 Station moved at some time in the 1950's to Sea Island (Vancouver Airport). This 1958 photo from the University of British Columbia shows VAI still at the UBC location.
QSL card (click it to enlarge) signed by the Operations Supervisor, Pierre Guinness.
2182, 1630, 2318, 2366 2738, 4098, 5521.5, 8236.4, 8939, 12347.5 kc/s plus 121.5, 126.7 and 156.8 mc/s.
VAI would transmit a Morse marker signal on its published HF CW frequencies. Vessel's would listen on the published frequency for the marker signal. Reciprocity was usually the rule, if the vessel heard the marker signal, then VAI would most likely hear the vessel if it called. The problem was that VAI wouldn't know the vessel's transmit frequency within the, say 8 mHz, band and thus the VAI operator would slowly tune across the narrow band listening for calls. Once VAI heard a station calling, the station operator would stop tuning, switch the marker off, and connect his hand key to the transmitter to start the communication. Listen to a recreated marker here.
(on HF) VVV VVV VVV DE VAI VAI VAI QRU? AMVER/OBS 4/6/8/12/16 MHZ K
(on 500 and HF) CQ CQ CQ DE VAI VAI VAI TFC LIST. QSW 420/HF AR
Thanks to J. Cain, B. Hastings, A. Hrynyk and M. Doutaz for generating the marker.
The Maritime Radio Marine History web site has quite a number of interesting coast station recordings here.
1970's By now VAI was the largest and busiest on the coast, handling MF, HF & VHF phone and CW. Four or five operators on shift plus a communicator handling the landline and HF teletype circuits.
This photo from the University of B.C. Archives shows the old site coming down to make room for the Walter Gage Residents. Photo is dated 1970, which may or may not be the date of demolition.
1980's VHF facilities shifted to the Vessel Traffic System (VTS)
in North Vancouver. The introduction of vessel satellite communications gave ships the
convenience of a phone number and clarity of a regular telephone. Traffic at VAI plummeted and
by the early 1990's the station was gone. All that was left was a VHF & Radar Marine
Traffic Control station on top of a building on Hastings Street which provided a good view of
This station is scheduled to be remoted to Victoria MTCS in the spring of 2017 thus ending over 110 years of manned marine radio in Vancouver.